Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Some odd thoughts I had today

Couldn’t help but wonder if it were government policy, would I be selected for compulsory sterilization? This caused mild discomfort for a period of 2 to 3 hours that was only eliminated by 4 beers and 7 rounds of minesweeper.

Actually, speaking of human heredity qualities and other fun stuff, did you hear what an independent investigator for the United Nations Human Rights commission said about Japan this week? During his recent 9-day visit to Japan, Japanese “officials often failed to understand or recognize the seriousness of racism and discrimination here, especially against the ancestors of Japan’s ethnic Koreans.” Ouch! Now for the record, many of my Japanese friends, including myself, are big fans of kimchi. I bet Mr. UN smarty-pants didn’t take that into account.

He also said that he was “concerned by the use of racist or nationalist themes by politicians seeking to whip up popular emotions.” He wouldn’t be referring to my old friend, Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara – staunch supporter of all foreigners in Japan -- would he…? I wonder how many JET Programme participants have been invited to Mr. Ishihara’s place for dinner lately? For that matter, is Mr. Ishihara also a big fan of kimchi? And, has anyone ever seen Ishihara’s musical adaptation of Treasure Island? How could a man create such a thing and not have a sensitive side, or at least be a gimp-like closet homosexual?

Sorry. I must admit that what sparked this crazy talk today, was the fact that I finally got to see my first real Nationalist Oyuko black campaign van this weekend. Totally awesome! I know. Been here two years now and finally seen one? I obviously don’t get out much. But when there are Ultra-Nationalist Oyuko campaign vans freely roaming the Hokkaido countryside, probably best that I don’t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home