Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Is it just me, or does the special e.d. teacher think I'm retarded?

Often, I can't help but wonder if the special education teacher at the local junior high also suspects me of being retarded. I know my Japanese ability is far from spectacular, but I imagine it's slightly better than...hmm... let's say, a potted plant. Nonetheless, everytime he greets me, it's with this huge grin, saucery eyes, proceded by a salutation in Japanese at turtle speed. He then rubs my shoulder with disturbing enthusiasm after answering him in an appropriate manner. Basically, this has been going on almost everyday for the last 2 years.

I know it must sound awful, but I can't help but feel a bit like "Little Johnny" dying of lukemia at this point, any moment expecting him to give me the little league hair rub at accomplishing the most mundane task. Also, he's such a nice fellow, not even my ultra-cranky self can muster up a shred of anger in his direction. My only consolation is to try and shock him with a dab of "high-level" Japanese. At which point, he claps his hands in surprise, throws me a chocolate, and tells me what a "Goooooooood Job," I did. Well, at least I got something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess they assign the special ed teacher to talk to foreigners because they're trained to be patient and nonjudgemental. And they're not afraid of a little mucus or saliva.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The special ed teacher at my school speaks to me in melodically intoned Kansai ben, and none of the Japanese teachers understand him. Also, he is the only teacher who routinely calls me on my cellphone to tell me about the various upcoming events... which means I still don't "hear" about things.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home