Monday, June 20, 2005

What's with all the gay stuff, anyway?

Is it just me, or is there a lot of homophobically disturbing boy on boy cuddling occurring in Japanese schools? For a culture that seems so obsessive about "maleness", if you will, male teenagers here can sure act like a bunch of sissies.

I remember walking naively into one of my first Junior High classes to oddly discover a few of the boys in the back straddling and hugging each other in definite sissy fashion. "Wow," I remember saying to myself. "What a bunch of fags!" Later that day one of these same boys would unexpectedly fondle my butt in an odd ploy for attention. I later think the purpose of this action was somehow twofold -- raise his status within the school "sissy-circle," as well as try to recruit me into the "sissy-fold." Instead, all he really succeeded in doing was making me feel very unclean, as well as debate walking in a crab-like defensive posture for my remainder in Japan.

After witnessing all this odd and insidious dood on dood action, it begs the question: is man on man spooning also considered appropriate sleeping protocol for non-homosexual Japanese males? To this day, I have had the fortune of not finding out, but imagine how shockingly disturbed the recent arrival might be to accidentally stumble upon Takahashi and Suzuki-san, the local "tough-guy" Judo senseis, gently spooning each other on a tatami mat?

Cross-cultural gender lines truly are much more complex than one could have ever imagined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home