Thursday, June 23, 2005

In Act of Unprecedented Defiance, JET Wears Outdoor Shoes Inside.

At one time, a man by the name of Abraham Lincoln once said, "To sin by silence when they should protest, makes cowards of men." It is words like these that have inspired a young social dissident, Dick Gozinya, 25, of Aho-cho, Hokkaido, to launch his single man campaign against what he deems as discrimination in the work place within his JET Programme Contracting Organization.

"They think they can just cast me aside like a pawn in their little racist game of chess," said Gozinya. "Not give me any work. Talk to me like I'm a retard. Always giggle in my presence. But, I will not sit in silence another day. I will continue to wear outdoor shoes inside until they begin to agree to my demands."

Just exactly what those demands are, however, Gozinya apparently has no idea. "Demands? Well...um...give me a minute. Oh, I know, to stop treating me like such an outcast and a foreigner! And..., well, I guess that's it for right now. But believe me, I'll think of a few more later on."

While conducting our interview, we had the chance to witness just what kind of work environment Gozinya had to deal with on a daily basis. To our surprise, his office not only did not appear to treat him in a discriminatory manner, but instead coddled him in surprising fashion. There were multiple instances in which we witnessed the secretary bring him refreshments as well as his superiors appearing to treat Gozinya with more respect than he gave to them.

Upon questioning Gozinya about whether or not his anxiety stemmed not from discrimination in the work place, but instead from the typical after affects of "culture shock," his reaction was quite hostile. "Oh, I get it! It's all a big conspiracy against me. Just because I am the foreigner, I am in the wrong. Well you guys can just f*** off, too, for all I care!"

We also couldn't help but suggest that his method of protest was perhaps not only a bit childish, but also, for lack of a better word, gay. Gozinya's reaction to this was just as antagonistic as before. "Gay! Gay! You're a journalist. You can't use words like gay. But if I must explain, wearing outdoor shoes inside is the perfect way to strike the Japanese people right where it hurts. You see how anal they are about the whole shoe thing, don't you? It's almost a psychotic obsession. But this is nothing compared to my next plan. Yes. If this doesn't create the desired results, I'll stop separating my garbage properly. And, on purpose, too! We'll just see how they like that one."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home